[tcb] Re: ? Replacing the copper contact for the horn

  • From: "Gerald V. Livingston II" <gerald.tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 23:40:15 -0500

The discussion has shifted from Vanagon to Baywindow but...

'68 - '73 used a press on interference fit. When the wheel is
installed tightening the nut "wedges" the hub down onto the
slightly cone shaped shaft.

A very thin layer of surface rust or ANY pitting makes that
an almost permanent bond. You'll have to use a puller plus
heat, plus a hammer, plus about a weeks worth of spraying
something like PB!Blaster on it daily to give it a chance to
soak in.

From '74 up the shaft is straight so usually just a few taps
with a hammer and a little PB!Blaster will loosen it up enough
to pull off with your hands.

G2