[tcb] Re: New job

  • From: "Brian Denning" <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 10:55:37 -0500

going into business for your self can be very difficult, first what kind of business?

if you want to do screen printing again you have to consider the cost of the equipment, a place to do it at, upkeep, taxes, insurance, lease bills, electricity. is it going to pay off, what about benefits, you are never to young or old to think about the benefits of retirement in your late future. is starting a business going to help with these benefits or hinder them?

now take this from a guy who has almost a quarter of his annual income from freelance and looking to expand all the way to 100% freelance and not work for the man. where is the work load comming from, what happens if they don't need anything for that month, man that's almost 1k you lost for a month if your regular customer doesn't need anything. you can't spend that money untill the next year, me personally, i am having to fill out w9's for taxes since the income is taxable and taxes aren't witheld from it.

starting a business can be a bitch and it will be stressful and you might have to sell a dub or two but in the long run with the help of a financial advisor it can pay off. the big question for you is where? you have to have a good location with out alot of the "competition" near.

as far as for the other two options

i would think aobut doing one or the other while trying to start your own business, that's what i am doing right now. it really helps out alot especially when you need that steady income comming in. and when you finally get to the point you are working 80 hours a week 40 at work and 40 with your business it's time to start switching over to yoru personal business instead of working for the "man"

i type all this because it is something i am looking into as well, but i don't have any equipment really to buy just upgrades on software. my goal is to eventually stay at home and do freelance work for business in little rock, i currently am doing work for a garage door manufacturer, another door manufacturer who also manufactures fireplaces, and a lingerie shop. (hey i get to look at skantaly clad ladys and get paid for it there's the perks)

either way good luck in your decisions.

From: Mark Sawyer <mechmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tcb] New job Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 07:59:08 -0700 (PDT)

Well, the boss dropped the hammer and said that Diversified Lithographics, Inc. (where I work and print t-shirts) will be closing it's doors at the end of the month. I have some ideas of what I want to do next. I have been offered a position with Gulf Coast Promotions (The company that bought the embroidery and screen printing equipment from DLI) to continue to run the production plant. I also have another possible opportunity to go into business for myself. Just not sure which career path to take.

  1) Do I look for another job in the printing industry??

  2) Do I take the job doing screen printing and embroidery???

  3) Do I pursue going into business for myself????

  Been losing sleep over this dilemma for a few nights now.

  Opinions?

Mark Sawyer
84 Vanagon Westy--"Twinkie"
92 Cabriolet--"Tinker"
70 Karmann Ghia Vert--"Dorothy" (soon to be running)
70 Type 1 Vert--"Vern" (still in pieces)
69 Type 3 Fastback--"Earnest" (also in pieces)
Texas Coalition of Busses (T.C.B)
Heidenheimer Bully Brigade (H.B.B)
Huntsville Organization of Busses (H.O.B.O)

Local listings, incredible imagery, and driving directions - all in one place! http://maps.live.com/?wip=69&FORM=MGAC01