[tcb] Re: Gas Tank

  • From: mechmark@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 14:14:35 +0000

Carry a stick with gallons marked on it. Just like the Heb's

From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Anyone out there have any experience with putting the enlarged (15 gal) gas
tank in the 61-67 type I?  After years and years of complaining about the small
tank and after the CA trip in the Baja where after 175 miles I was having to
look hard for gas stops in the Baja I took the plunge and bought the 15 gallon
after market gas tank to install.

Here is the problem:  Only just got the tank so haven't tried anything yet; but
how do you make the fuel sender work properly.  The 61-67 bug uses the tried
and true mechanical sending unit; a float on the end of a wire.  The larger
tanks are about 4" higher/deeper than a stock tank.  Without doing any
modifications the sender is going to bottom out 4" early and indicate empty
when you still have some 4" of fuel in the bottom of the tank.  At least that
is my logic before I have looked at what's going to happen.

So what's the solution?  Modify the wire?  Longer wire should work.  But how
much longer?  And how do you modify the wire to make it longer in the sender?
Anyway, those are the thoughts.  Any suggestions, particularly from anyone who
has done this?  And for the question the other day on adjustments for the fuel
gauge; the Type I mech gas gauges do have an adjustment.

Oh, and bus content:  This tank does not use the normal Type I gas cap.  It
uses the splittie Type II gas cap.