[tcb] Re: Bus engines woes for a Saturday

  • From: "Trey Jung" <treyjung@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 21:25:42 -0500

Guess what.. I went on my little 20  mile "deer run" as I call it and stopped
about 1/2 as my Berg dipstick was flicking on at 45 mph.... so I go back to the
engine and I notice the air hose coming from the back of the engine to the oil
bath nozzle was disconnect.. ( might be a reason it's running hot letting the
hot air into the engine compartment) connected it then I notice that the vacuum
connection the top left of the pict 34 coming from the diaphragm of the SVDA
was not connected, so I connected it... Got in the bus , cranked it up and
drove.

The hesitation came back just like before I changed the plugs. Stopped the bus
went to the back and disconnected that hose coming from the diaphragm on the
SVDA, guess what , drove fine (as in not jerking, hesitation ) when shifting
from one gear to the next. Drove a ways disconnected and same thing (jerking
and missing like at the higher rpm's in the gears)..... Did this switch about 4
times to make sure...... now the fun part!

Stopped the bus to disconnect the hose (final experiment to get back home) got
back the bus, turned the key, nothing, no noise, got lights and radio , gauge
lights all light up, not even a murmur from the starter  or solenoid. I do have
a hard start relay in it and I checked the fuse and it was blown.. no 15 amp
fuse in the bus.... bummer

out in the middle of no where (close to where I got stuck trying to chase hogs
in the other bus)....

Finally a guy came by, pushed me off, got home , (forget the cell phone too)
apologized to the wife... went out to the bus , stuck a 30 amp fuse in the hard
start relay,,,, nada... nothing.. fuse didn't blow either.... no start....

2 problems:

Why does the bus run like crap with the vacuum connected and run ok with it not
connected.,... a bad vacuum can? (not doing it's job? maybe) bad SVDA

Electrical (blew the hard start relay somehow or a ground came loose) I do know
if the hard start was blown if the started would turn over. Anyone know.
Thinking that the hard start blew along with the fuse and power is not getting
to the started....

I need a beer.....