[tcb] Re: Bus Supporters Anonymous

  • From: a1992cabbygirl@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 22:49:16 -0400

I live with one that should have joined B.S. a long time ago!
Emily

From: Dan Martin <danandkatrinamartin@xxxxxxx>
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tcb] Re: A message board?
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 13:56:35 -0500

I first got into the VW thing (this time) was right about the same time I got
into the whole interweb thing. I would spend hours and hours on RAMVA.
(rec.auto.makers.volkswagen.aircooled) The news group,these days I don't even
have a news reader. It is now all over on google:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled? lnk=oa&hl=en

I also miss the HVWC email list, but after Don died it was pretty boring
anyway. It went away when HVWC went to a forum:

http://hvwc.org/

These days there seem to be way to many forums:

http://austinaircoolers.com/forum/index.php
http://dallasaircoolers.com/vwforum/
http://bayareavwclub.10.forumer.com/
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/
http://www.sluggoproductions.com/iac/ (all the baywindow guys from theSamba
after Colin got mad)
http://lovemybus.com/smf/index.php
http://www.fullmoonbusclub.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum.php

That is the list I have, I am sure there ore a bunch more. I try to check every
day or so. I have them bookmarked, auto log in, RSS,list new posts sence last
visit, and the whole thing, but it still takes a bunch of time.

There are some other lists that I am on as well:

http://wetwesties.type2.com/
http://www.buskatiers.org/
The type2 and vintage bus lists at:
http://www.type2.com/

I am on both the T2 and VB lists, the traffic on the VB list has really dropped
off in the last couple years, I think most of those guys have moved to
theSamba.
The T2 list is still fairly active, but nothing like it was a few years ago.
And a couple more that are not bus related. So you can tell that I spend way
too much time reading forums and email.
This list came about when Katrina and I went to Ennis, checked into a hotel,
then went to recon the route to the track. While driving around we ran across
the Texas Airheads heading to the park where they planned to camp. (
http://www.texasairheads.com/ ) I found out later that there were 2 or three
different groups camping out different places around Ennis. I took it on myself
to try and form a "list" like the Type2 or BSKA list that I was on for us.
Originally I tried to get one or two people from each club around the state,
later we just tried to get every bus pilot we could find on the list. I
understand that for some of the new people it seems overwhelming at first. With
the tools we have on the list that G2 mentioned we should be able to make
everyone happy. If you have read this far, thanks, and now you know how we know
a little about how we got here. Like I  said before, if someone wants to build
a forum for the TCB I will be all for it, but can't do it.

p.s. G2 and Denis are not the only ones here that post more than anyone ever
wanted to know............................

On Oct 24, 2006, at 11:31 AM, Gerald V. Livingston II wrote:

>FIRST, I'd like to welcome all the new subscribers. I'm the resident email
>"nazi" because I have been running my own mail server since the mid 90's
>and am the mail server administrator for an ISP. I am NOT an admin on this
>list -- direct all questions or change requests directly to Dan Martin. My
>managing list email. If you think THIS list is high volume go sign up on
>the Type2 or VintageBus lists.
>
>Konrad -- I'm sending a copy of this message DIRECTLY to you as well as to
>the list in case Dan has already unsubscribed you. It offers you an
>alternative way to keep up with traffic here. You're the only one I've
>noticed requesting to be unsubscribed rather than having digest mode set.
>
>Dan, if I missed any recent unsubs please forward this to them if you can
>find their addresses in the message archive.
>
>This is the SHORT reply. The LONG rant about forums will come later when I
>have a bit more time. Right now I'm cleaning out the '69 that will be
>donating its frame to the Bradley and I'm emptying out the Rivi so I can
>get rid of the ant bed that formed inside due to the recent rain <sigh>
>
>Now,
>
>Reading online...
>
>You can do the same here:
>
>//www.freelists.org/list/tcb
>
>Links on that page to the archives and for those who use RSS you there's a
>link to add a feed to your reader.
>
>The "Archives" link is where you actually go to read the email posted to
>the list.
>
>If you use the "Log in directly to this list" link you can change your own
>settings (like turning digest on/off or subscribe/unsubscribe).
>
>Log in and set yourself on "Vacation" mode. It will stop sending you >emails
>to your inbox BUT you are still subscribed and can send messages to the
>list (which you read online through the archive).
>
>G2
>
>On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 8:45:51 -0500 "coocoo@xxxxxxxxx Tue, 24 Oct 2006
>8:45:51 -0500 "coocoo@xxxxxxx" <coocoo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>I don't care for the boards like Aircoolers. As one of the more active
>>BSers here (remember that if I don't post Dan calls me on the phone and
>>asks what's wrong) I would prefer a Yahoo or Google Group. They are free
>>and you can choose to have the posts sent to your E-mail or you can read >>it
>>at the site, so it offers the choice.
>

>>---- Dan Martin <danandkatrinamartin@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>I mentioned to Mike, not on this list, the guy who runs the Dallas
>>>Aircoolers .com site and board at Denis' on the 4th of July about
>>>having a TCB section on their board. He did not sound thrilled, but
>>>he did not seem to have a problem with it.
>>>If anyone wants to ask around or build a board for us I have no
>>>problem with it.
>>>
>>>Dan & Katrina Martin

Try Search Survival Kits: Fix up your home and better handle your cash with
Live Search!
http://imagine-windowslive.com/search/kits/default.aspx?kit=improve&locale=en-US&source=hmtagline

Check Out the new free AIM(R) Mail -- 2 GB of storage and industry-leading spam
and email virus protection.