[tabi] NPR gadget; was RE: Re: Scanning

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 12:58:12 -0400

Hi Lynn,

Well, if you're interested, it can be made to work.  the key is to not
use the special player on the pc that they urge you to use, that was
written for them.

if you use windows media player or real player or something standard,
things are ok; it's their custom player which isn't accessible.

of course, when you don't use their custom player, then links they
provide for "listen" don't work, and you've got to follow a link to each
show's web page, and choose to play the show from there.  this works ok,
but you can't click several shows on your list and once, and then click
"listen"; that's the capability which relies on their custom player.

I've written to NPR and let them know of the problem; they did seem
concerned.

other than that, the gadget is amazing.  for one thing, it will let you
know what piece was playing on the classical music station at the time
you pressed the button as well as which news article on NPR.  you can
email links to the npr article to anyone you think might be interested,
and you can keep them around, building up a library of your favorite
articles.

the one item to be aware of is that your donation only covers one year
of service.  after that, it takes another donation to keep it working
for another year.