[tabi] Re: Hi, I saw this on another list

  • From: Governor staten <govsta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 14:23:25 -0400

This video boggles the mind. It is sick. No one I know wants to be
blind, or would purposely make themselves blind, if they could have
chosen. She is a sick person. The doctor who justified this is also more
than a little off.

On 10/12/2015 11:08 AM, Tricia Kiser wrote:

I've seen shows on BIID (body integrity identity disorder) and while I
think the sufferer has psychological problems and I can feel some
sympathy for them, I think any person who assists the person in doing
self-harm should be prosecuted.

The first case I saw of this on tv was where a patient went to the ER,
asking a doctor to remove one of their legs. The doctor refused and
later learned that the patient had appeared at other ER's and been
denied. The patient then amputated their own leg and showed up back at
the first ER he had visited. The doctor had no choice then but to clean
up the wound and suture it shut. In that case, the doctor did the right
thing. He did not condone the patient's unreasonable attitude and
actively assist in the patient harming themself. He did his best to
discourage the patient and then did his job treating him only after the
damage had been done.

The psychologist who assisted this woman in becoming blind was
supposedly in his right mind and yet he put the drops in knowing they
would harm her. At the very least, he should have his medical license
revoked. I think criminal charges should be added as well.

As to whether she should be accepted by the blind community, I guess
that's up to individuals who come in contact with her. I wouldn't want
to have anything to do with her because she's obviously not mentally
well, and if she could so easily harm herself, she could just as easily
cause harm to others.

From: esbowden@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tabi] Hi, I saw this on another list
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 19:55:16 -0400

Hello All,

I saw this on another list, and thought I’d get local opinions.

The article below is about a woman who chose to make herself blind.
Before the audio, there is advertisement for a movie, but the article
should play after that. All opinions I have read so far have showed
anger towards this woman and her doctor. The opinion is also that she
is crazy, and shouldn’t be accepted by the blind community for what she
has done. Decide for yourself!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdRihAJ3H9Q