[tabi] Re: Fw: Window-Eyes 7.2 is Now Available!

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 16:15:57 -0400

Hi Jim,

I'll consider it; but demos go so much better when people are there to
ask questions, to point out what they don't understand, and what they'd
like to know more about.  I was especially hoping to present to a group
with Liz and/or Adam (and anyone else who helps clients who have to deal
with inaccessible software where they work).  WindowEyes scripting
really makes this possible to deal with now, in a way it's never been
before.

How about this: for people who'd like demos, have you tried TeamTalk?
we could look at getting a group together using TeamTalk, so I could
give live demos and take questions and interruptions.

I've done this once before, when I was demonstrating for blind
programmers a new way to create windoweyes scripts; and we did it as a
session on TeamTalk with about a dozen people.

If people are interested in this approach, I would help them get
TeamTalk installed; I have sent out, and will be glad to do it again, a
TABI TeamTalk file, so you just click on it, and it starts up TeamTalk,
and puts it in the TABI channel (or group) on the right server.

I think teleconferencing is perfect for this kind of thing, but I know
it can be a problem installing and configuring something new like
TeamTalk, so I'll put a copy of my TeamTalk instructions below.  If
people will try it and tell me if they're ok with this approach, then
I'd be willing to do it this way in addition to showing up for group
meetings.

-----------------

* download TeamTalk for Windows; since they have versions for other
operating systems,
I've provided a direct download link  on the line below:

http://bearware.compytech.net/TeamTalk_v4.0_Setup.exe

* run the install, and when it comes to which of the 4 components you
want to install
(you can only choose one), you want the one which says "client" and
"accessibility"
in it's description.

* connect your headset with a microphone, or go ahead if you know you
have a built-in
microphone and use it, but wear headphones when using TeamTalk.

* if you have a USB headset, then understand a little of how it works,
and maybe
even test it out before using TeamTalk, so if there's trouble, you'll
know where
to look.
A USB headset is actually another sound card, and it often doesn't show
up as a choice
except when it's plugged in.  it's not your default sound card, and so
nothing will
use it when you plug it in.  You have a lot of choices as to how to
configure a USB
headset, but I'd recommend going into the control panel, going into the
"sound" option,
and making it the default playback device, and the default recording
device.  This
way, when you unplug it, Windows will automatically switch to something
else (your
built-in sound card), and the next time you plug it back in, being the
"default"
will cause windows to switch over to automatically using it.
If you have the kind of headset with two plugs, you need to find the
correct jacks
on your pc for headphones and microphone input (not line input).  then,
when you
want to use it, you just plug it in.

* so, if you think things are ok with your headset, run TeamTalk.  the
first time
it throws you into the configuration dialog automatically.  you only
need to enter
your nickname. (I just use my full name).  in here also, are checkboxes
for whether
you want to trigger your microphone by talking (voice activation), or by
holding
down a key on the keyboard (often the control key is used).  this is
called "push
to talk".
if this is what you want, check it, and tab to the next control, the
"setup" button
for
your push-to-talk  key combination. they suggest using the control key,
so press enter on
this button.  TeamTalk then is waiting for you to hold and release the
key
combination you want to use. push and release the control key. (it makes
a good choice).
I use voice activation myself, and if that's what you want, you have to
tab over
and find it's checkbox and check it.  you can easily change this on the
fly later.
In this configuration dialog is also a different tab for the sound
system settings.
leaving these settings at their defaults usually works, but of note is
that there's
a "test" button in this dialog, and when you click it it allows you to
talk, and
you will hear your own voice echoed back in a few seconds.  it allows
you to keep
working with your microphone until things sound about right.  if you
hear nothing,
then you know there's a problem.  there's now a "stop" button available,
and clicking
on it stops the test mode.
if you click on "ok" when you're ready, you'll be in TeamTalk's main
window.  you
can go back into the configuration at any time by pressing F4.  many of
the items
you could set in there however are now available to you in a menu named
"me".
You are now in the main TeamTalk window.  it has a list of channels, a
place where
text messages for the current channel are shown, and an editbox where
you can type
in a text message and press enter.
the list of channels on the current server is the only control you're
likely to need;
you go up and down it until you find a channel you want, and press
control J to join
that channel.  you press control L to leave the channel.  as soon as you
join, you
can start talking, and you should hear the others talking; or, you will
be asked
for a password if it's a passworded channel.  Don't forget if you set
things up so
your mike is "voice activated", they can then hear you, and anything you
might say
outloud!
All of these channels are on a single server; there are many servers to
choose from,
and you can run your own.  servers have different policies and rules of
operation,
that's why you may want to change.
TeamTalk comes with some pre-defined servers in it's list; you can get
to them by
pressing F3.  you can go up and down the list, and tab over twice to the
connect
button, and connect to different servers this way.  when you do, you'll
be put back
into the main TeamTalk window, and you will automatically be joined to
the "root"
channel of that server.  think of it as the "foyer" to the server.
some of them allow you to create your own channels for your own use, and
some don't;
in those, you can only use the channels which are already defined; their
names often
indicate the kind of topic being discussed there.
I have created and mailed out a file, named the TABI.tt file, which
will, when you
click on it or run it like a command, start TeamTalk, go to a pre-chosen
server which
allows us to create a channel, and it will automatically join you to the
TABI channel
(assuming there is one at the moment).  I expect to announce a
get-together at a
certain time, and just have everyone be able to "run" the tabi.tt file,
or click
on it in windows explorer, to join the conference.
anyone can create the TABI channel on this server, and announce their
own get-togethers
at any time. when the last person leaves however, the TABI channel is
deleted.  it
does not have a password.
There are more advanced options you can look into: you can control the
volume independantly
for each user in a conference, so if someone is too loud or too soft you
can adjust
them for your hearing; you can have TeamTalk simulate their placement in
a room,
so they appear to sound like they're in front, or to one side, etc.  you
can put
files in the shared file space, when you want everyone to be able to
receive something
easily, without having to email it to everyone there on the conference.
  you can send
private text messages to users in the conference to pass a private
message to them.

I hope these notes help everyone get started on TeamTalk, but don't
hesitate to ask questions if you have problems.

Chip
(acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx)