[sustainableri] West Side Grocery: Awareness

  • From: Michael Giroux <dspacioak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jeffrosen101@xxxxxxxxx, atear@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, bachelormusic@xxxxxxxxxxx, ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bigtrain_farm@xxxxxxxxx, brower@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Chance Kelly <chancekelly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, choke22@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, christie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, cityfarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, dave@xxxxxxxxx, deborah schimberg <deborah@xxxxxxxxxxx>, emwiig@xxxxxxxxx, "Erika, Community Garden Network" <gardennetwork@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, fellowworkers farm <fellowworkersfarm@xxxxxxxxx>, frank carini <frank@xxxxxxxxx>, "John & Aly" <THEGREENGROCERRI@xxxxxxxxx>, joseph.pietrzak@xxxxxxxxx, JT <jangendron80@xxxxxxxxx>, "kari@xxxxxxxx" <kari@xxxxxxxx>, Kelly Ramirez <kelly@xxxxxxxxx>, labonte.andre@xxxxxxxxx, "Lawless, David" <David.Lawless@xxxxxxx>, Mark Tabor <markedlikealuke@xxxxxxxxxxx>, marsfarmer@xxxxxxxxx, matt@xxxxxxxxxxx, Michele Fryer <michelelynn401@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Paul Connelly <lunacypollen@xxxxxxxxx>, Providence Provision <providenceprovision@xxxxxxxxx>, RevEd zen paradiso <zen.paradiso@xxxxxxxxx>, Steve Bushell <sjbushell@xxxxxxxxx>, Than Wood <timshel@xxxxxxxxxx>, wavelady <ashapiro3@xxxxxxx>, Zhong Gao <zhonggao85@xxxxxxxxx>, sustainableri@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Flo Mirko <flo_mirko@xxxxxxxxx>, Bruce Alan Kaplan <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Dauna J. Noble" <daunajean@xxxxxxxxx>, David Christian <2thewilds@xxxxxxxxx>, Director SCLT <director@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 23:25:41 -0500

Hello all,
  We are gathering this weekend for an official launch on this new project
for our group: the Fertile Underground Grocery.  Our plans include supplying
very fresh, locally-grown produce year round, on the West Side of
Providence.  The neighborhood has other basic grocery needs, many of which
we hope to facilitate.  We are also forming a collaboration to build an
incubator kitchen, utilized to foster numerous cottage industries, including
the Furtile Food Truck.  This kitchen aims to provide a chance for farmers
to process farm goods into value-added products, and to make use of
quantities of blemished produce, which may not sell at market.  We will use
this as an opportunity to maximize the local food resources.
  By increasing the opportunity for a number of budding RI farmers to focus
on their work with the land, we will strengthen our local food environment,
as farmers carry out individual efforts in learning from the earth and
caring for the soil.  The Fertile Underground are carrying this banner and
sincerely asking for community help.  We need to understand our reality in
bringing forth this vision, these desires which have been repeatedly
expressed in the neighborhood for years.  We see this project as a nexus
which combines to support numerous goals of the sustainable agriculture
movement, and requires numerous helping hands to create and guide to
fruition.
   We are gathering for a fundraiser yes, but in a greater way, we need to
raise the awareness of what it's going to take for us to make this a real
thing in Providence.  We can all feel that the neighborhood wants this
store, and it is now time to stand forward and express that want as an
action, that has resonance, to vibrate this store into being.  It's going to
take funds, it's going to take organization, and it's going to take work.
      I am following a passion of mine, which is the real culture of sharing
loved food.  That means: grown with love, prepared with love, served with
love.  Eaten with respect and appreciation.  - A culture which does not have
time to sit and eat, will *never *produce lasting poetry or tender arts! (to
put it one way. you may disagree.)  I feel we need to strengthen our human
community, and why not do it by relearning our eating patterns together, and
improving the collective health.  This is not the only way, but the one I
enjoy, because it sometimes means three kinds of lasagna on one table.
    I am riding forward with the Furtile Food Truck, which will be gathering
great produce from friendly farmers, serving simple and healthful meals and
providing community gathering experiences.  I hope to lend my footwork in
gathering vegetables and food supplies toward the grocery, delivering these
finest foods to the neighborhood at large, in their natural form as well.
Yet, this store will require more than just a bunch of vegetables.  I'm
looking for others to get passionate as well, and bite into this thing,
because only through a strong group, firmly planted, will this idea, the
Fertile Underground Grocery, show it's blossoms to us all.
  Please join us this Friday, to feel the direction, lend your thoughts, and
potentially offer true help to our group of highly creative, visionary world
gardeners, who have decided to change course and are currently spinning the
captains wheel around and around and heading in an entirely different
direction than the mainstream economy: up.  We will create a lifestyle in
America as Jefferson explained, by respecting the wealth of our land and
wisely using our natural/national resources.  The billions micro-organisms
in the top half foot of earth may just be the forces which help us more than
any government, any leaders, any doctrines, or anything from outer space and
the heavens.  Let's allow ourselves to experience them, in this case,
through our food.  Life consumes life, even the sun burns up an expendable
core.  It is now that we understand how to let ourselves be consumed by the
spirit of the Earth, rather than the buzz of work & technology.
   This is certainly a lot of ideological soap-boxing. I assure you, that we
have many real concepts to reveal, as you reveal yourself, and your
interests and input.  Thank you for what you do, I hope we all may find that
true & natural connection in our own hearts.

[image: FUGkickstarter.gif]

Please freely forward this to all interested PARTIES.
--
Michael

*401-PURE-858*
*Fertile Underground*