[studiorecorder] Re: Insertting A Mix - Could Not Figure Out - Music Then Voiceover With FadeOut

  • From: "ROB MEREDITH" <rmeredith@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <studiorecorder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 15:04:10 -0400

Mika:

This is easily done with Studio Recorder, though its a far leap from knobs on a
mixer. Try following these detailed steps, tuning them to meet your needs.

1. Open the file containing spoken word content.

2. Hit Ctrl+A then Ctrl+C to put the spoken word content on the clipboard.

3. Close the spoken word file if you wish.

4. Open the music file. The music file will be the destination.

5. Navigate to the location in the music file where you want the spoken
material to come in.

6. Hit X to open the Mix dialog.

7. Set the controls in the mix dialog as follows:
Clipboard Volume: 0 dB
Destination Volume: -10 dB
Destination Dip/Rise Time: 3.0
Negate the Mix should be unchecked.

8. Hit Enter to complete the mix.

9. Optional: Use Save As to save your new file. If you just hit Save, you will
overwrite your original music file with the new mix.

This should do mostly what you want. It may be necessary to tweak the
Destination Volume and the Destination Dip/Rise time. The Destination Volume is
the level of the music during the mix. The Destination Dip/Rise Time is the
time that the music will fade down to the Destination Volume level before the
actual mix starts.

The one thing I didn't address here is getting the music to eventually fade out
during the mix. This is best done by using the fade command on the music before
mixing in the spoken word content. There are various fade types and techniques
which can be used in Studio Recorder; we can address these in another message
if necessary.

Rob

>>> Mika_Pyyhkala@xxxxxxx 10/16/07 01:57PM >>>
Hi,

I'm wondering what kind of mix capabilities Studio Recorder has.

Essentially I have a .wav file that is already recorded.  It is about 45
minutes in length.  The file basically has voices of people talking on it.

At the beginning I would like to insert some music.  Initially I want the
music to be at kind of a high volume.  So let's say 20 seconds of just the
music.

Then the voice would begin, and at that time, I would want to lower the
volume of the music, but still so you could hear it.

And then eventually a fade out of the music.

I could not see from the documentation how you would do this.

I think it would be easy to do if you had a hardware mixer with knobs, but
I am not sure how this can be done with Studio Recorder.

Like can you play both files together and adjust the voluem of say the
music and the voices?

Thank you for any advice or pointers to articles, etc.

I am not sure if I would be better off doing something like this with a
mixer.

-Mika