[studiorecorder] Re: Extracting the audio from avi video files

  • From: <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <studiorecorder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 08:31:13 -0700

Robert,

I sent the following to this list
last night; although I mentioned audio, these two sites have video conversion software also.

You can try a couple things; I've used Alive's MP3 Wav Converter and their video converter for years; they are a little quirky, but work quite well. You
can check out
www.alivemedia.net
to find out about the shareware they offer. I did a podcast on blind cool tech in January 2006; search for Audio Conversion and you should find it; the podcast is dated January 23, 2006. One nice thing about the audio converter is that it can sit in the context menu so that when you land on a WMA file to convert, you can press the applications key and there will be choices such as convert to wav, or convert to with an elipsis after it, and you can press enter and choose what to convert the file to; quite handy. My podcast describes some of the quirks and the work-arounds.

Another program is Replay Converter, from Applian Technologies.Applian has been working to make their shareware friendly to blind people; Replay Converter
seems to work quite well.

Mary