Re: [steem] small bugs

  • From: "Steem Authors" <russ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Steem Discussion" <steem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 20:12:09 -0000

Hi Stephen,

Sorry I have taken a long time to reply, been away for a week.

> > normally to return the correct time/date we intercept
> > TOS calls. When working out dates for files GEM uses its internal clock
> > without calling any interceptable routine. So the only way to do it
would
> be
> > to call Setdate while booting, this is probably very possible. Time is
> more
> > difficult however, as whenever you stop and restart Steem we will have
> > update it (that could open a can of worms).
>
> I think this would be worth doing. Could you set the clock at bootup, and
> have an option in the shortcuts menu to update it if we've been messing
> about with the speed etc?

Yes I could do that. I have been thinking about some kind of GEM
configuration page, with keyclick, mouse/keyboard speed and other options, I
can put it on there.

> Another small bug: in Windows XP (but not 98) you can't create a type 2
> hidden file on drives C upwards.
> Create (trap 1 no $3C) returns error -34 if you try. (I could never have
> found this without your fantastic Boiler House!)

This could be tricky, must be a permissions problem or something. If you log
in as an administrator can you do it? I could make it so on NT that bit will
be ignored, that might allow some programs to work that wouldn't otherwise.

> I also note that fast forward (breathtaking at 2Ghz!) via keyboard
shortcut
> can sometimes continue for quite a while after I take my finger off the
key.

Ant found this very annoying, he's using XP, he had a look but couldn't
figure out what was wrong. The good news is that in the latest version of
Steem it has fixed itself! Don't ask me how, I don't remember changing
anything. :)

Just a note on the tracing of exceptions, I think I have fixed it. As far as
I could tell Steem v2.4 is correct apart from chk, trapv, division by zero,
they wouldn't be traced. Is that what you have found?

More good news, I've fixed 512Kb and 2Mb memory sizes. It turns out that TOS
would detect a 640Kb ST (if one existed) as having the same configuration as
a 512Kb ST, once I knew that it was easy to fix the problem.

Best wishes,
Russ

--
Steem - http://www.blimey.strayduck.com/