[startgroup] Re: sexual violence risk and the START

  • From: "n.a.c.troquete@xxxxxxxxxxx" <n.a.c.troquete@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "startgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <startgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 12:16:20 +0200

For our outpatient forensic psychiatric group we've developed a client-version
of the START in which we've explicitly incorporated sexuality as both a risk
(eg, having disturbing or unacceptable sexual fantasies. Practicing unsafe sex.
Being addicted to sex) and protective (eg safe sex for both partners; having
controle of sexual fantasies and behaviour) factor.

This occurred after initial discussion with treatment staff who indicated that
sexuality often was one of the core issues in the treatment of (some of) their
clients.

We did not explicitly add sexuality to the case-manager version of the START
but rather agreed with treatment staff that when sexuality was an issue for a
client (either as a risk or as a protective factor) they would add it as a case
specific item.

Sincerely,

Nadine

Nadine Troquete