[ssug-malappuram] Re: [ssug-malappuram]

  • From: Praveen A <pravi.a@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ssug-malappuram@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 11:04:11 +0530

http://news.cnet.com/Red-Hat-stock-surge-creates-billionaires/2100-1001_3-205557.html

Just sample story. How is Red Hat still in business, when people can get the
same software for half price or free of cost?

There are also other success stories like MySQL database, qt c++ toolkit,
and in many cases many companies think Free Software is the best way like
Google releasing chrome browser, android operating system, open office ...
they do employ Free Software developers.

Does everyone driving a car has to be a mechanic? Why do we go to a mechanic
when some thing is not working in a car? Why can't every one repair their
own cars? Similar to a car should every one learn inner details of the
software and be able to fix it when it breaks or should they just know how
to run the software and call some one when they need help?

Does a mechanic fix a car for free?

Going back to the original question, what do people expect in return when
they pay Red Hat or Novell or HP?

On Mar 29, 2010 10:27 AM, "Praveen A" <pravi.a@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Rauf,

Now go and look how Red Hat is doing financially. Search in google. As per
your logic Red Hat would be out of business right now. How can someone
compete with free of cost. And think about my previous question about the
bank, what would they do?

Praveen