[sotd] The Sieve [October 23, 2013]

  • From: "Site of the Day" <amholm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 04:47:55 -0700

        Site of the Day for Wednesday, October 23, 2013

         The Sieve

Today's site, originally a project of the postgraduate program in science
writing at Johns Hopkins University, and now in the capable hands of its former
graduates, serves up a highly regarded publication focused on a variety of
science interests. Gentle Subscribers will discover information and insight
into the science stories that matter in this engaging blog.

"Why tell stories about science? Science, like any other endeavor, has
characters, plot, intrigue, and heartbreak. But perhaps unique among human
pursuits, science inevitably progresses: we always know more than we did
before. Through a blend of original reporting and personal narrative, we hope
to shed light on that process, showing what scientists know, what they hope to
find out, and why it matters." - from the website

Offering original material, this frequently updated publication pulses with the
enthusiasm of its core contributors for the fascinating themes and variations
which inform twenty-first century science. Recent articles have featured a fact
finding look at a decades old tale of chain reaction consequences in Borneo's
Operation Cat Drop, a story on the science of oil hot from that beloved
Midwestern institution -- the state fair, and a sobering account of the fate of
the monarch butterfly. Additional stories are available from its easy to access
archives.

Cruise over to the site for noteworthy science reports on a diverse range of
scientific fields at:

http://the-sieve.com

A.M. Holm
  Comments? Suggestions?  <amholm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  Manage your subscription and view the List archives on the web at:
<//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=sotd> and
 <//www.freelists.org/archives/sotd>