[sotd] 5 Weirdest Side Effects of Moving to a New Country [October 18, 2013]

  • From: "Site of the Day" <amholm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 06:24:20 -0700

        Site of the Day for Friday, October 18, 2013

        The 5 Weirdest Side Effects of Moving to a New Country

Today's site, from Cracked.com columnist Alli Reed, offers, if not clever
insight, then at least an amusingly skewed viewpoint of the expatriate
experience. Gentle Subscribers, whether contemplating an international move or
merely wondering what it might be like to live abroad, will find this an
entertaining perspective.

"A year and a half ago, I moved from San Francisco to Australia, knowing almost
nothing about the country other than what I'd learned from reading Cracked (so
just a montage of ways I was going to die). After braving the Australian
Outback and letting all of those giant poisonous spiders know who's boss (them,
very much), I recently returned home. With some distance from my experiences
abroad, I was able to reflect on the process of acclimating to the new culture,
and I have some words of wisdom to share for any prospective emigrants out
there. Spoiler alert: It's all bad." - from the website

Related with the typical insouciance that characterizes the Cracked.com style,
Ms. Reed serves up the American living abroad scenario with gleeful candor.
Despite being semi-prepared for culture shock, she reveals how she was
nevertheless sandbagged by tiny, unexpected differences. From hamburger
toppings to pedestrian rights of way, the minor differences between the new
country, even though English-speaking, and the old, seem to have been the
triggers for cultural exhaustion. Capturing the surprise at her own
unanticipated reactions, Ms. Reed has created an engaging account of the
American expat experience.

Wing over to the site for a quirky look at life abroad at:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-5-weirdest-side-effects-moving-to-new-country/

A.M. Holm
  Comments? Suggestions?  <amholm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  Manage your subscription and view the List archives on the web at:
<//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=sotd> and
 <//www.freelists.org/archives/sotd>