[sopvid] briefing paper by IDDC

  • From: Paul Mugambi <shamgpaul@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sopvid@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 05:48:18 +0300

hallo all
read below a paper by IDDC for post 2015
disabilities_and_inequalities_in_the_sustainable_development_process_-_policy_brief_ida-iddc.pdf
Open parent document
Disabilities and Inequalities in the Sustainable Development Process
Briefing Paper for the Open Working Group Session on Promoting
Equality – 5th of February 2014
Why is this crucial?
According to the World Bank (WB) and World Health Organization’s (WHO) 2011
World Report on Disability, “people with disabilities experience inequality—for
example when people with disabilities are denied equal access to health care,
employment, education or political participation because of their
disability.” In
addition, persons with disabilities, due of the nature of impairment,
age, gender,
geographical location, socio-economic and cultural background experience
significant levels of discrimination and exclusion.
There is wide recognition that progress within the existing MDG framework has
not been equitable and that persons with disabilities are disproportionately
represented among those left behind by recent development gains. The human
rights of persons with disabilities as enshrined in the UN Convention on the
Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UN CRPD) need to be realized into the new
sustainable development framework.
Intra-country inequalities have widened, of which persons with disabilities are
disproportionately represented. An estimated 80 per cent of persons with
disabilities live in developing countries, often representing 15-20
per cent of the
most vulnerable and marginalised poor in such countries.1 In order to leave no
one behind, the UN Secretary-General now calls for actions to promote equality
of opportunity.2
The High Level Panel identifies persons with disabilities as one of the groups
frequently excluded from development. To ensure equality of opportunity,
relevant indicators should be disaggregated with respect to
disabilities. This has
been suggested by the High Level Panel, which states “Targets will only be
considered ‘achieved’ if they are met for all relevant income and
social groups.”
The Outcome Document of the High-Level Meeting on Disability and
Development, stressed “the importance of ensuring accessibility for
and inclusion
of persons with disabilities in all aspects of development and of giving due
consideration to all persons with disabilities in the emerging post-2015 United
Nations development agenda.”
Further, the Rio+20 Outcome Document clearly recognised the participation of
persons with disabilities in the sustainable development agenda.
Without a concerted effort to highlight and protect citizens with
disabilities in the
post-2015 agenda, inequalities will endure. Failure to address this
inequality is
inconsistent with a UN Charter that speaks of ensuring the dignity and worth of
every human.
1
O’
Reilly,
A.
(2007).
The
right
decent
work
of
persons
with
disabilities.
ILO,
Geneva.
2
A/68/202
SG
Report
GA
“A
life
in
dignity
for
all
-­‐
accelerating
progress
towards
the
Millennium
Development
Goals
and
advancing
the
United
Nations
development
agenda
beyond
2015.”
Key recommendations on how inequalities experienced by persons with
disabilities could be addressed in the post-2015 agenda:
• Upholds human rights for all, eliminates discrimination and
diminishes inequalities: The post-2015 agenda should address
eradication of the inequalities that persons with disabilities face. This can
only be done through overt focus on the realisation of human rights with a
clear focus on equality, equity and nondiscrimination
that is based on the
fundamental values of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with
Disabilities. This will also help national governments meet their obligations
towards disability inclusive development.
• Integrating a focus on inequality throughout all the goals, targets
and indicators: When setting the goals for the post-2015 development
agenda, disability must be one of the cross-cutting issues to be taken into
account when designing goals, targets and indicators. Disability-specific
targets will reduce deep-rooted inequalities leading to better development
outcomes overall.
• Disaggregation of data in order to address inequalities within all
goals, targets and indicators: Disaggregation of data will help measure
the gaps between economic and social groups including persons with
disabilities and identify who is being left behind. Setting targets to reduce
these gaps (e.g., in health and education outcomes, in incomes and
employment) will ensure that the most deprived are not “left until last”.
This will further help to focus attention on and address direct and indirect
discriminations between groups that underpin inequalities.
• Builds on equal and meaningful participation of persons with
disabilities at all levels: In line with the Outcome Document3 of the High
Level Meeting on Disability and Development: “the way forward, a
disability-inclusive development agenda towards 2015 and beyond,” key
actors and stakeholders are requested to closely consult with and actively
involve persons with disabilities and their representative organisations in
the elaboration, implementation and monitoring of the emerging post-
2015 goals.
3
http://www.un.org/disabilities/documents/hlmdd/a_68_l.1.doc

--
Watch my latest work on road safety for the blind and persons with disabilities.

http://t.co/3kFHc7fUam
 and an inspiration song ""never to give up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_dS2qHrbhI&feature=youtu.be&a

Mugambi M. Paul
Disability Rights Advocate,
Awarded "Champion of disability advocacy in the emergency response
August 2013 by CBM International

http://t.co/3kFHc7fUam

Founder of VIP Family.
"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean;

http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/fb_share/3626200

  "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others."
Mahatma Gandhi

"The day you forget that you rock is the day the world rolls all over you."

Skype: shamgpaul1

Twitter  @paulmugambe

E mail shamgpaul@xxxxxxxxx
Mob no. +254 722 231815
** To leave the list, click on the following link:-
** [mailto:
sopvid-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
?subject=unsubscribe]
** sopvid-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx