[sopvid] Re: Introduction of new memberss

  • From: "J. Gichuhi" <jgichuhi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sopvid@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 17:49:38 +0300

Hi Paul,
Thanks for these names, am I right to assume they are both blind or low vision? It's important because it helps determine whether to categorise them as associate or regulars. About the website, I'm sorry I haven't had a good opportunity to look at it in great depth, however here are the few observations I was able to come up with:

1. The site creators are probably using a web authoring tool, which insinuates additional code/elements. i.e. there is an "empty navigation region" which I'm sure is invisible to the sighted people, but as it is there even if with zero font, is nevertheless picked up by the screen reader. If possible, can it be eliminated? 2 immediately below the first link, i.e. the presidency ..., is the line: "list end", this element implies there has been a list of items prior to the end, which is misleading. This I believe is yet another challenge occasioned very likely by the web authoring tool which automates site creation and sometimes as mentioned earlier inserts unnecessary tags/elements.
3. It is great to note that most graphics/photos are now captioned.
4. there is a link
"www. president.go.ke/#:"
I don't suppose they could have used a more informative/descriptive name for the link, "#" is certainly odd. 5. There's an orphaned "Article" which again though invisible to the sighted, is read out by the screen reader. it is just below the above link [see 4 above].*** this element [article] is used to enclose a narrative specific to a topic with a heading sometimes further enclosed in a division, please ignore this if it is in fact an article element that has appropriate content. 6. The "Download" is both a link and a heading, nothing wrong, however immediately below this, is a link which presumably leads to the same download page. May I suggest that the above is retained as a heading alone, which then informs of the download speeches link immediately below it. 7. president Kenyatta welcomes new envoys, below is a link that suggests: read more xx, there's something at the end of this line, what is it, can it be removed, has it some meaning, or is it there to inform of some feature? 8. There's a Click here just below the "Join the first lady in the campaign", my personal view is that "click here" links are not informative, and should be kept at a minimum or eliminated entirely, and either use the "First Lady Campaign heading as a link as well, or replaced with a more descriptive title. Finally, I also briefly employed a website evaluation tool, and it came up with a few colour contrast issues [very important to low vision users], among others to do with links/lists inconsistencies, but as I had no sighted assistance, could not gauge their importance, nor due to time constraints, could I go beyond the first level verification. The evaluation tools do a much deeper check, and in more cases than not, more than willing to throw up sometimes inconsequential errors, still, it is well worth looking, and I will as soon as I can.

Thanks.

Jimmy Gichuhi

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Mugambi" <shamgpaul@xxxxxxxxx>