[slackintosh-users] Re: WPA?

  • From: Marco Bonetti <marco.bonetti@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 14:45:26 +0100

Joost Kremers wrote:
> who have a WPA-secured network
you've to run wpa_supplicant. I can confirm wpa is working with airport
extreme so it should work with airport too. The real problem is that I
don't know if your card can do the crypto-work on chip or it will be
demanded to the cpu, in the latter case wireless experience will be
really slooooooooooow (old revision of airport extreme, like mine, only
run wpa and not wpa2, I've tried it out but surfing becomes a real pain
;-) )

Hands on, for WPA Personal:
1) install wpa_supplicant
2) edit /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf, the default one should be ok however
I'll paste the configuration here:

network={
  scan_ssid=0
  ssid="YOUR ESSID HERE"
  proto=WPA
  key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
  pairwise=CCMP TKIP
  group=CCMP TKIP WEP104 WEP40
  psk="YOUR PASSWORD HERE"
}

3) test with: wpa_supplicant -ieth1 -Dwext -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
4) if everything is ok, you can add

WLAN_WPA[1]="wpa_supplicant"

to /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf for automatic start of wpa_supplicant as soon
as the wireless interface comes up (eth1, in this case).
In case you need to poll wpa_supplicant status or you need to command it
when already running you can use "wpa_cli"

If the network is running WPA Enterprise it means that it will provide
you some sort of captive portal, I think you can man wpa_supplicant.conf
for extra configuration bits. In the unlucky event you're under WPA2,
just change the "proto=wpa" line into "proto=wpa2"

merry wireless xmas!
ciao

- --
Marco Bonetti