[slackintosh-users] Re: WPA?

  • From: Joost Kremers <joostkremers@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 17:06:51 +0100

Marco Bonetti schreef:
> you've to run wpa_supplicant. I can confirm wpa is working with
> airport extreme so it should work with airport too.

not really... the airport extreme is a very different card from the original airport: the latter is based on (IIRC) a hermes chipset, while the airport extreme uses a broadcom chipset. for ages there wasn't a linux driver for the airport extreme, even though the airport card was well supported.

the airport card uses the airport driver, which in turn uses hermes and orinoco. the driver for the airport extreme is a different one. (don't remember which one, though.)

3) test with: wpa_supplicant -ieth1 -Dwext -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

at this point, i get an error. in fact, i get a whole bunch of errors, primarily things like 'ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not permitted'. if i turn on the debug output in wpa_supplicant, one of the lines is telling me:

WEXT auth param 7 value 0x1 - Driver does not support WPA.

but at a later point it says:

WEXT auth param 7 value 0x0 - Failed to disable WPA in the driver.

my guess is that WPA isn't supported for the airport driver, no-one has taken the time to implement it. i've found some messages on the net (from the orinoco-devel mailing list on sourceforge) that suggest some people are working (or were working) on WPA-support for the orinoco driver (which is used by the airport driver), but it doesn't seem to be working... :-(

merry wireless xmas!

i wish you the same! ;-) for me, it seems the wireless part isn't happening... :-(

thanks for the answer, though. ;-)

best,

joost

--