[sib-access] Re: making some kind of portamento

  • From: "Farfar on Laptop" <dgcarlson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 10:37:45 -0700

Ramy,

Read your Sib 5 manual. There's a lot of stuff in there.

I'm pasting some clips from the manual, just by doing a simple text search I
came up wit all these references, which are herein posted without permission
of the authors, so I beg their indulgence as I drag you through the process
of reading a manual...

Found this...

* Play glissando/portamento is for gliss. and port. lines. You can specify
the playback speed and
interval of an individual line by selecting it in the score and using the
options on the Playback
panel of Properties (see Gliss. and port. on page 238).

Then more...

You can also use the pitch bend control change to create a portamento or
glissando effect by creating a number of MIDI
messages one after another. The pitch bend
does not last for just one note -
it remains indefinitely, so you usually put a pitch bend in the opposite
direction on the next note to
revert to normal pitch.

Then this...

To create a pitch bend effect over an interval wider than a whole step
(tone), you can either use the
portamento control change (see Control changes below) to make a pitch bend,
or use the following method:
* First, set up the range over which the pitch bend can operate: insert the
MIDI messages
~C101,0 C100,0 C6,half-steps in your score, where half-steps is the total
range of the pitch
bend in half-steps (semitones), from 0-12. For example, to set up pitch bend
with a maximum
range of an octave, use ~C6,12. (It's best to put these messages at the
start of your score.)
* When you want to add a pitch bend to your score, insert a ~B0,bend-by
command as usual,
except that now you must divide the bend-by parameter into the number of
half-steps (semitones) set up with your ~C6
command, e.g. if you entered ~C6,12, each
half-step (semitone)
adds or subtracts 5.3 (64 divided by 12) to bend-by. So to bend upwards by
four half-steps (semitones), you would enter
~B0,85.
This method requires that your MIDI device supports standard "Registered
Parameter Messages"
(RPMs), which is common but not universal. If you intend to use other RPMs
in the same score,
you should remember to "close" the parameters, by adding ~C101,127 ~C100,127
after the
~C6,half-steps message.

Then also this...

Portamento
Portamento is a smooth "glide" from one note to another (rather like a
glissando played on a trombone). This effect is actually
controlled by two control changes:
~C5,0-127 controls the length of
time taken to perform the portamento (0 is fastest, 127 is slowest), and
~C84,0-127 determines
the distance of the portamento (values below 60 start below the note, values
above 60 start above
the note; the precise interval depends on the MIDI device).
So you must first "set up" the portamento effect with a ~C5 message, and
then attach the ~C84
message to the note on which the portamento occurs.

This control change is not supported by all MIDI devices.

Dave Carlson
From my Dell Latitude 630, currently not nearly close enough for my comfort
try to remedy that situation.