[sib-access] Re: [Bulk] quarter tone

  • From: saeed Mirzazadeh <saeedm19@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 22:37:15 +0100

Dear Friends,
as Dale said, they exist. quarter tone is used in scores of musicians
in late 20th century and is stil using now. but not in time signiture.
anyway in oriental musics such as Iranian, Arabic and Torkish and etc
... it's very common writing quarter tone in time signiture, because
they exist in the base of their scales and tetracords. Iranians
usually write quarter tone in special type of writing graficly. but
these quarter tone signs which there are in sibelius are used in
Arabic theory of music and it's known as the quarter tone among the
composers and players of classical music. so you see that for writing
the score for the special traditional musics you need the time
signiture including even 2 quarter tones in a score.
for playing quarter tone by sibelius, i found its way yesterday.
you have to select the note which has quarter tone sign and the note
beside. then go to: "plug-in/playback" and enter "quartertone
playback". it will open a window that you can change also the distance
of the quarter tone. i mean that by editing the number, you are able
to ask that note to perform a little higher or lower than a quarter
tone flat or sharp.
it sounds also in midi format after export.
Kind Regards,
Saeed