[SI-LIST] Re: urgent: LPC to RS232 converter

  • From: Hora Abu <arageeb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Peter Marek <peter.marek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,pci-sig <pci-sig@xxxxxxxx>, si <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 15:29:46 -0800 (PST)

Peter,
I appreciate your feedbak.  Do you know of a specifc BIOS that support routing
the PORT 80 to the Serial Port? As far as the OS level it will not work since
the POST codes need to be pumbed into the Serial interface long before BIOS
hand over control to the OS.

Aragan
Peter Marek <peter.marek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hora,

some BIOSes support redirecting Port 80 codes to one of the serial ports of a
PC. On the OS level you could easily do that in software. not a big deal.

If you do not want to have software involved (e.g. your BIOS does not support
the redirection), you could do an FPGA design which grabs the Port 80 IO writes
and  sends it out through an integrated UART. If your not familiar with FPGA
design, we could do that for you. We could also attach the chip to the PCI
interface. This approach is a little bit mor straight forward. the whole thing
were a single chip solution (e.g. TQF144 package for PCI) and cost would be
below 10 $. Development cost would be too high because we have long years
experience in FPGA / embedded PC design.

regards,

Peter Marek
c/o MarekMicro GmbH
Fuggerstr. 9
D-92224 Amberg
Phone: +49-9621-9732-110
Fax: +49-9621-9732-199

BESUCHEN SIE UNS AUF DER EMBEDDED WORLD 2004
                           HALLE 12.0, STAND 453