[SI-LIST] Re: the most desirable power plane design scheme

  • From: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 16:12:58 -0700

Hi Steve and the list,

Actually I plan to continuing to post new content and develop
http://emcesd.com as well. http://circuitadvisor.com is a multi-media
training site on EMC/ESD/ and general design with how-to videos and
video tutorials as well as engineering podcasts. Just recorded three new
videos for the site.

Doug

On 3/31/10 7:20 AM, steve weir wrote:
> Joseph there is no generic correct answer.  The starting point is to
> translate the requirements into an impedance versus frequency required
> at each of the big ICs.  Then sit down and start to evaluate your
> alternatives, keeping in mind what else the PCB has to do.  Good
> engineering practice would tell you to address the PCB design beginning
> with the most restrictive requirement first.
>
> The more commonality / fewer power nets you have the fewer components
> that will be required.  Isolation techniques like ferrite beads are very
> powerful, but they come at a price.  Many people have abused ferrite
> beads to the point where they would have been much better off without
> them in the first place.  If you want to learn more about ferrite beads
> and how to use them properly:
>
> http://www.ipblox.com/pubs/Ferrite_beads/Understanding%20Ferrite%20Beads%20and%20Applications.pdf
>
> My basic message is to isolate where it provides you an advantage that
> justifies the additional parts required.
>
> If you have ground loops in a high frequency PCB something is
> disastrously wrong.  The closest thing you should have to a ground loop
> is a Vss-Vss or Vss- case cavity resonance and with proper stitching the
> lowest modal frequency should be well out of the way of any significant
> signal components that could excite the cavity.  See Doug Smith's
> www.emcesd.com web site for more information about PCB to case
> resonances.  Doug has started up a paid site circuitadvisor.com where he
> is migrating the wealth of information he has developed.
>

> Steve.
> jemanakk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Thanks for all excellent feedbacks for the coupling cap and power plane
>> design.
>>

>> I have another question related to one of my present design:
>>
>> A board design with 2 FPGA, 5 processors, 3 set of DDR2 DRAM, Gbit
>> Ethernets, USB2.0HS, etc.
>> There are many voltages common for Processors, FPGAs, PHYs, etc.
>>
>> What should be the most desirable power plane design scheme?
>>
>> 1. Dedicated (power islands, isolated by ferrite beads from the common
>> power grid/plane) power for each processor, DDR2s, FPGAs etc?
>>
>> 2. Common power plane for devices with similar voltage (for example: one
>> core-voltage-power plane for all processors)?
>>
>> 3. How much ground-loops and switching noise needs to be considered/worry
>> in a multi processor/FPGA/PHYs/DDR2s/etc design on a single board? Is
>> there any simplified (rule-of-thumb) board level analysis?
>> (Note: I always use HyperLynx based SI analysis for board design, for all
> [...]

     ___          _       Doug Smith
      \          / )      P.O. Box 1457
       =========          Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457
    _ / \     / \ _       TEL/FAX: 408-356-4186/358-3799
  /  /\  \ ] /  /\  \     Mobile:  408-858-4528
|  q-----( )  |  o  |    Email:   doug@xxxxxxxxxx
  \ _ /    ]    \ _ /     Website: http://www.dsmith.org

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net