[SI-LIST] Re: simulating connectors in Hyperlynx

  • From: "Corey Kimble" <coreyk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "SI-List" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 16:24:19 -0400

Joel,

Understanding that you are using another vendor's connector, I will =
still share with the group what our understanding of using connector =
models in HyperLynx is all about.  Note that Samtec is not a direct user =
of HyperLynx, but we have worked with Mentor Graphics reps in an attempt =
to understand what certain "modules" of HyperLynx can support:

(1)  HyperLynx LineSim utilizes a "SLM" format which basically uses a =
SPICE T-line and strips out the Z and TPD parameters.

(2)  HyperLynx BoardSim requires manual entry of the lumped or =
distributed T-line parameters

(3)  HyperLynx ELDO - these models are basically SPICE models, and =
apparently HyperLynx GHz (version 7 and higher, I think) that has a =
License of ELDO can use these single-line or multi-line model =
structures.  We re-package our standard SPICE multi-line models by =
rearranging the node order to make the symbol in Hyperlynx more readable =
to the user...

Hopefully, this info helps other users of HyperLynx.  We are not direct =
users of HyperLynx; only have obtained support information in order to =
attempt to support customers with connectors models.  Users of other =
vendor's models should expect them to be able to support the above, =
since they are based on SPICE models.

I am hopeful that some other "expert" users of the different HyperLynx =
toolsets, including reps from Mentor Graphics, will chime in with even =
more helpful insights...

Regards,

Corey Kimble
Signal Integrity Product Engineer