[SI-LIST] Re: resonant slot in waveguide, is the hfss admittance matrix reliable?

  • From: "Richard Remski" <remskirt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hoda_1980@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 07:34:30 -0500

HFSS should be great at finding waveguide slot resonances.  One thing you
might keep in mind is that if you are modeling fairly small slots with metal
waveguide wall thickness accounted for, some seeding in the slot(s)
proportional to the slot aspect ratio can give you a better starting point
for the simulation and cut out a lot of the adaptive process.  You also need
to consider if you want to be deembedding up to the location of the resonant
feature of interest to obtain admittance or impedance results 'at' that
point.

Radiation boundaries should always be about 1/4 lambda from any 'strong'
radiator. If they're done right their shape and size beyond that point
should not be *major* drivers to the local admittance result, but if
incorrectly defined could still impact antenna pattern results.  PMLs are
another option that have been available for three versions now too (since
HFSS v7).

For better support, I hope it is not too bold that I suggest you contact our
application engineering personnel appropriate for your location directly.
That way you can get the support that presumably you are paying for with
your license maintenance.  If you don't know who the local contact would be
please email me with your location and license information and I'll be happy
to put you in touch with the right individuals.

Respectfully,

Richard Remski
Ansoft Application Engineer Mgr, Southern US Region

List archives are viewable at: