[SI-LIST] extracting capacitance from mems

  • From: kaustubh bhate <kaustubhbhate@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 06:53:49 -0800 (PST)

Note: forwarded message attached.

=====

http://photos.yahoo.com/

Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 06:51:17 -0800 (PST)
From: kaustubh bhate <kaustubhbhate@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: extracting capacitance from mems
To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,
I have been doing s-parameter measurements on
mems switches made on low resistivity silicon. (1-2
 ohm-cm).
 These are capacitive mems switches with a thin
 dielectric between the top and bottom
> electrodes.
 The up-state and down-state capacitance of the
 mems
switch can be extracted from the measured
s-parameters.The frequecny range of measurements
 is
0.5-30 ghz.

In my case I find that the extracted values of the
 up-state and down state capacitance, at frequenices
away from the LC resonant frequency of the switch,
(0.5-5Ghz) do not match the electrostatic measurement
of the same capacitances, and are much higher.

Is the propagation of slow wave mode at lower ghz
frequencies responsible for this effect and if so why?

 I know I am following the correct procedure,
because the line-impedance extracted from the measured
 s-parameters matches very closely to the
simulated value in HFSS.

Is there a way that I can extract the up-state and
 down-state capacitance from s-parameters, or do I
 have
 to do electrostatic measurements to determine the
 same?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Regards,
Kaustubh.