[SI-LIST] Re: diff pair questions

  • From: signal hoss <simails@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 11:42:25 -0700 (PDT)

Vinu,

I don't quite understand this-
say we use pecl, lvds or cml driver- they all
have diff amplfier, which implies current needs
to be returned on power/ground. For the way you talked
about- cut out the reference plane, it will make
return
current path unusually long and creates side-effects
like coupling to other signals and more EMI.
One example(may not be good) is ethernet driver use a
transformer to converta diff pair with reference to
gnd into a diff pair with reference to each other in
order to put on cat 5 cable. I dont know what happen
if just use ethernet driver to drive cable without
going thru
transformer.