[SI-LIST] Re: de-embedding of mems

  • From: "gh c" <ghc20038@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 02:29:47 +0000

Hi Kaustubh,

Dan and Eoin had given some good points. I would just like to summarize few
points here.

1)when come to loss compensation, one can go for scalar or vector approach.
It is all depending on matching to your input/output DUT. If you have a
match input/output network, then scalar approach is valid (in this case
reflectionless. as pointed out by Eoin). If you have a mismatch network,
then vector approach is the correct method to use, as you have to take the
reflection into account. One needs to understand the differences so tht to
accurately characterize the device.

2)There are few ways to deembed the traces/launchers towards the DUT. First
of all you need to define your reference planes. Then characterize those
traces/launchers between the planes. To do this, you can use either i)two
tier calibration approach OR ii)delay lines approach (for example, TRL. as
pointed out by Dan).

Hope this would help you.

Thanks.
gh