[SI-LIST] Re: copper thickness of a ref plane

  • From: "Ken Cantrell" <Ken.Cantrell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 09:21:23 -0600

Jim,
Just back from vacation, so my mind isn't back in gear yet (still golfing).
I assume you are talking about edge coupled ustrip and strip lines.  What
formulas are you using (in addition to simulation software)?  I'm not
getting the connection between plane thickness and crosstalk as a dominant
coupling capacitance.  For edge coupled ustrips there are three mutual
capacitances to account for in odd mode:

1.  Cs - the mutual coupling capacitance considering the effect of er only.
2.  Cso - the mutual coupling capacitance considering the effect of eo only
3.  Ct - the mutual coupling capacitance due to strip thickness, considering
the effect of eo only.

Although Ct is linear with increasing thickness, the dominant capacitance,
Cso, is an order of magnitude greater than Ct.  Cso is independent of trace
thickness.

For even mode, the mutual fringing capacitance is independent of thickness.

All of the above is relevant to traces, not planes.

So you can see my confusion.  Can you clarify?

Thanks,
Ken