[SI-LIST] Re: "common mode noise conversion"

  • From: "Michael E. Vrbanac" <vrbanacm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 01:11:56 -0600

Jeff,

Good explanation as well as Jim's.

However, it still seems like the same thing only viewed from two different
perspectives.

1.  Internal stimulus: The driver/receiver signaling pair and its
electrical balance without
considering external stimuli.
2.  External stimulus: The signaling pair and the affect of external
stimuli on the receiver
performance.

In either case, the imbalance works against the signaling link performance.
To what degree and whether that is important will depend on the signaling
system characteristics.

In any case, all things being equal, in the external stimulus case, a
poorly balanced,
loosely coupled pair has more of a propensity to cause difficulties than a
well balanced,
tightly coupled one.  That shouldn't be surprising since the loop/capture
area of a poorly
balanced, loosely coupled pair will allow greater amplitudes of energy to
be lost
as common mode energy into the environment or accepted into the poorly
balanced
pair as differential mode energy from external stimuli.

Michael Vrbanac

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: