[SI-LIST] Re: What to do with "isolation" conductors in ribbon cable?

  • From: "stebla01" <stephen.blake@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 07:43:53 -0000

I've simulated this situation to look at the effect of inductively
coupled noise into the ribbon cable. Each signal conductor was adjacent
to a spare conductor. The result of the simulation was that the spare
conductors should be tied to ground at both ends and that the
inductively coupled noise was smallest on the signal conductors nearest
the centre of the ribbon cable. However, in my case the inductive noise
was at 20kHz and so the cable much less that a wavelength so I did not
model the ribbon cable as a transmission line. However, it seems to me
that the idea is to use the spare conductors to try to approximate a
ground plane made out out a mesh of discrete wires; hence connecting
the spare conductors to ground would still make sense at higher
frequency.

Stephen

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net