[SI-LIST] Re: Walls of Air? or Pillars of Metal?

  • From: "Clewell, Craig" <Cclewell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'OLSON_JACK_C@xxxxxxx'" <OLSON_JACK_C@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 09:53:32 -0500

Jack,

From my personal knowledge large slots in the PCB are not recommended.  The
return current needs to go around these slots increasing the loop
inductance.  There are also EMI considerations as well.  A big hole has more
leakage then a bunch of little holes of the same area.

Dan Swanson dedicated a chapter in his book to via fences (ISBN
1-58053-308-6).  The results of his work showed that reducing the distance
to the ground plane was much more effective for improving isolation due to
the field lines terminating on the ground plane more quickly.  I believe
that Eric Bogatin also mentions this in his book as well.  Dan did find that
if you double the amount of vias and add a shorting strip between the vias
in the "fence" the S12 will be reduced by about 10dB.

Craig