[SI-LIST] Re: Via modeling & de-embedding

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gstokes@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:05:55 -0400

Geoff,

I would agree.  A single inductance value for a via is not of much use,
due to it's narrow bandwidth.  Sometimes it is possible to create a
T-line model of a via, to efficiently model it's reflection behavior,
but that too falls short, since it does not model losses in the cavity.

In the end, the only reasonable way I have found to model via is through
a 3D full wave solver which produces broadband s-parameters.  As others
have discussed, the via is modeled out to the exit traces, in a region
where the fields patterns have stabalized.  In addition, the area
modeled across the planes is dependent upon the surrounding via pattern
for grounds, power and other signals.  Open boundaries in the plane x
and y directions are used to simulate energy that is lost in the cavity,
but this is only an approximation, since any energy that returns back
from the edges of the planes will couple back into the excited via.

best regards,

scott

--
Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

Teraspeed is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org