[SI-LIST] VGA/VIDEO: IMPEDANCE & LENGTH

  • From: Chandan <chandan_career@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SI FORUM <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 09:24:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everybody,

The video interface between a motherboard & a monitor
typically consists of the following signals:
1. RED, GREEN & BLUE
2. HSYNC, VSYNC etc.

My questions:
1. Are there specifications for the characteristic
impedance of these signals? For e.g., the USB
specification defines the characteristic impedance
with which the USB signals must be routed with.
I'm not too sure, but I think that the RED, GREEN &
BLUE lines must be routed with a characteristic
impedance of 37.5 ohms, whereas the HSYNC & VSYNC
signals must be routed with a trace of characteristic
impedance of 40 ohms. Could someone clarify please.

2. Are there specifications for the maximum length of
these signals?
As of now, I think that the length on the motherboard
really does not matter. This is because, after the
signals leave the motherboard, the cable that connects
to the monitor is at least a foot in length. PLease
comment.

Thanks,
Chandan