[SI-LIST] Re: Troubleshooting Technique for System Cables for high frequency noise (such as ESD)

  • From: Paul Levin <levinpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 22:15:49 -0800

Dear Doug,

The math in your Tidbit is impeccable, but I wonder if the voltage doesn't
drop considerably when the load is not an open circuit. If truly 2 amps is
delivered, the 2 amps would have to come from your generator's power supply
and through the output circuit. What are the ratings for those parts? The
few generators I've seen had quite a hefty source impedance.

Regards,

Paul Levin
Senior Principal Engineer
Xyratex
________________

Doug Smith wrote:
>  Hi Everyone,
> Just finished and posted my latest Technical Tidbit, for January 2009. As
> always, the picture of the test setup at the bottom of the page at
> http://emcesd.com[1] is the link to the article. The direct link is:
> http://emcesd.com/tt2009/tt010109.htm[2]
>
> Technical Tidbit - January 2009
> Injection of ESD Current Into Cables Using Capacitance
> (a useful ESD troubleshooting tool)
>
> Abstract: When a piece of equipment is subjected to ESD, the cause of the
> resulting system response can be difficult to find because the ESD event
> couples to many parts of the system, not just the place where the event
> happened. A technique is described that allows ESD energy to be coupled onto
> system cables, one at a time. Doing so can identify sensitive cables that
> maybe contributing to an ESD problem.
>
> Also, I am trying a new way (for me) to deliver a seminar on ESD, combining
> aday of my material with a day presented by a  noted expert in the materials
> field, Bob Vermillion. If interested the URL is:
>
> http://emcesd.com/pdf/NewportESD.pdf[3]
>
> or look for the picture of the Newport, CA (Orange County) sunset on my
> website[4].
>
> Have a Happy New Year!
>
> Doug -- ------------------------------------------------------- ___ _ Doug
> Smith \ / ) P.O. Box 1457 ========= Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457 _ / \ / \ _
> TEL/FAX: 408-356-4186/358-3799 / /\ \ ] / /\ \ Mobile: 408-858-4528 |
> q-----() | o | Email: doug@xxxxxxxxxx[5] \ _ / ] \ _ / Website:
> http://www.dsmith.org[6]
>
> --- Links ---
>    1 http://emcesd.com