[SI-LIST] Re: Tradeoffs of split power plane vs. multiple power layers....

  • From: "Oscar Fallah" <oscarfallah@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 16:45:01 -0700

Hi Jon,
I used to design PCBs for automotive and off-highway applications.    Most
of the time, these were 4-6 layers (6 layers considered as luxury).  Often,
I had to split the power plane into 3 or more separate voltage planes.
There are also a number of PC motherboards that have been routed on a
4-layer PCB.

From SI perspective, it depends on how much of a "bump" you can tolerate on
your signal/return path, and the sensitivity of the signaling scheme to this
amount of bump/discontinuity.

Generally, I would remain aware of signal and power return paths, and power
and signal (and isolation from noise) integrity should follow.   For
example, I would reference the processor and the memory and other
peripherals interfacing with it to the same power/GND plane. E.g., a
2.5-volt plane should be used as the reference for the I/O that is powered
by the 2.5V. Also, isolation of different power supply rails, be it
digital-digital or digital-analog, has proven to be achievable while
maintaining adequate routing requirements w.r.t. return path impedance.  If
package can provide the coupling that Steve has mentioned (I.e., the
power/return accommodate the low-impedance needed for power integrity by
means of adequate on-board decoupling), then it maybe possible to use traces
for power signals and forgo all power planes in favor of GND planes as the
reference plane--Except when isolation is required...

Regards,
Oscar

On 4/6/06, steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Jon, your question covers a broad range of possibilities.  Here are
> two general cases I think are worth considering:
>
> 1. Suppose that we would like maximum route flexibility, that we
> would like to route signals against any plane layer and switch
> reference layers without concern.  Then, we would need to tightly
> couple the various planes together across our signal spectrum.  In
> the real world we can't get perfect coupling from DC to daylight.  So
> first we have to determine whether this approach is feasible, and
> second we need to figure out what we need do to make it work so that
> it better suits our goals than the alternatives.  There isn't a
> global answer.  It boils down to numbers for specific cases.
>
> 2. Next suppose that we want to keep digital noise out of an analog
> domain.  To do that well we need to understand what needs to be
> coupled, how we are going to couple it, and then how to really
> isolate the rest.
>
> Steve
>
> At 08:42 PM 4/5/2006, Jon Anderson wrote:
> >Greetings.
> >
> >I am curious to get some insight/opinions on power distribution
> >approaches and the benefits of various configurations from an SI
> >standpoint.  Specifically, I am wondering how a split power plane
> >within a single board layer affects SI, and the best methods for
> >mitigating integrity issues (for example the use of multiple ground
> >planes, or don't do split power planes since it's an SI no-no).
> >
> >It may be best to present an example.  It is not unusual to see
> >separate power (or ground) planes for analog and digital sections of
> >a board.  This is obviously done to provide isolation and limit the
> >effects one section has upon the other.  I am considering the
> >tradeoffs of using multiple supply voltages/planes within a single
> >board layer (which may be necessary in the case of an ) versus having
> >to do unique layers for each voltage.  Such a configuration might be
> >necessary in the case of an ASIC that has multiple supply voltages
> >but a common ground reference.  Also, is it best to use matched
> >power/ground layers for each voltage, even if the grounds are
> >commonly referenced?  If you do a split plane, are you as concerned
> >with separate ground planes for each voltage?
> >
> >I understand that there are non-SI benefits to limiting the number of
> >board layers (cost is the obvious one), but I'm strictly looking at
> >this from a signal/power integrity standpoint.  I also understand
> >that the answers are likely application dependent, so I'm just
> >looking for generalized reasoning why a specific configuration may or
> >may not work well.  I fully realize this is a series of very open-
> >ended questions.
> >
> >For sake of arguement (and to simplify the situation), let's say that
> >you can route all signals on the top and bottom layer, so any
> >internal board layers would only be power or ground planes.  I
> [...]

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: