[SI-LIST] Re: Timing Methodology (renamed from Question about Simulation in Spectraquest)

  • From: Jonathan Dowling <jdowlin2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 18:41:35 -0700 (PDT)

Scott,
Your proposal sounds similar to the standard/legacy
methodology in use today for driver and receiver
characterization.

What is the difference between the standard/legacy
reference load and the one that you propose?  It sounds
like you want to calculate a crosstalk/SSO budget for
the package that is separate from the rest of the
net and report a delay/skew/Tco at the package pin.
That's not the goal of Chris's methodology as I
understand it.  If there is a reference load,
wouldn't it have to essentially model the entire
network?

What is the difference between the "de-embedding" of
silicon timing you mention relative to the standard/legacy
way that we think about Tsu/Thold?  De-embedding timing
is not the goal of the methodology either.

What would you propose to add to the DDR-II spec to
help support a logic-to-logic timing methodology?

The legacy Flight Time Methodology will be King as long
as there are no crisp answers to the simple questions
I have posed regarding the application of the proposed
alternative logic-to-logic timing methodology to current
and future industry standard interface specifications.
Any timing method which aims to dislodge the Flight Time
method as a standard must be widely integrated into
industry specs.  Puffing up and claiming superiority
alone will not be sufficient.

-jd