[SI-LIST] Re: Timing Methodology

  • From: Jonathan Dowling <jdowlin2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 13:49:47 -0700 (PDT)

Chris,
Its coming back to me now....its been so long I almost forgot.
The simulation model *is* the spec.  The datasheet is meaningless.

Applied to the DDR-II DRAM scenario, this forces an industry
standard circuit simulation model (not to mention tool-suite)
for driver/receiver that all DRAM vendors target.

I'm curious to know if that's possible.  Anyone care to comment?

-jd

--- Chris Cheng <chris.cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> i believe for any spec to be meaningful for a high speed
> system design, it has to reflect the reality of the system.
> if you buy into that, there is no way any semiconductor
> vendor can predict or even measure the worst case tDQSCK or
> tDQSQ, not even using the so call 30pf with high precision.
> as everyone knows, DQS and DQ timing (even at the component
> pins) will be a function of the SSO or ISI and will vary even
> between an ideal 30pf load vs. the tester environment with
> a 50 ohm transmission line ending with a 30pf load. The
> only place any vendor can reasonably be sure the timing
> could be bounded by pure silicon effect has to be before
> the main driver where there is minimal system dependency
> (obviously excluding voltage or temp effects). i can make
> a case then, to truly reflect a measurable quantity (be that
> on a tester or system), one needs to have a spec given
> by the si vendor that purely reflect the si behavior and
> coupled that with an accurate model to plug into individual
> system environment. all of the above is to address the output
> aspect of i/o timing.
>
> to complicate things even more, take your favorite DDR II
> example where you have DQ,DQS,DQSb, my question is how
> do you interpret all the ringing, edge degradation at the
> input pins in the system environment. given the same input
> signal edge and ringbacks, the delay of the input receiver
> will be different if the -ve end of it is presented with a constant
> level (vref as in psuedo differential receivers like DQ's) or a
> complement of the +ve signal or worst with a complement of the +ve
> signal time shifted due to system environment. you simply can not
> interpret DQS and DQSb individually and certainly even DQ has
> exactly the same shape as DQS/DQSb (which I don't believe
> will happen), the output of the receiver will be different also.
> you will be lucky if your misinterpretation being too
> conservative and you just lost performance. you will be dead if
> your misinterpretation is too aggressive and you have a fail
> system.
>
> in the end, all specs are meaningless if you cannot correlate
> to real system environment. whether you define them internally
> or externally should be determined by how you can decouple the
> pure silicon environment from the system environment. in the
> external timing case, you are trying to correlate to an
> imaginery 30pf or the si vendors tester environment,
> neither of which can be duplicated in the system customers
> test. in the internal case you allow the customer to bound
> their constrain based on their own environments coupled with
> an accurate model that allow them to do so. i believe
> at highspeed, any spec that go through the drivers or stop at
> the input of the  receivers have too many dependencies
> on the system environment (SSO,xtalk,ISI to name a few) to be
> accurate. that said, any internal spec has to be backed up by
> [...]
=== message truncated ===