[SI-LIST] Re: TO define the "Preemphasis"

  • From: JC Darden <jcdarden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 22:16:44 -0700

I'll be surprised if anyone can justify the xilinx definition (explanation)
of pre-emphasis in it's entirety.

Certainly this type of signal "pre-emphasis" (pre-compensation) can improve
hi freq losses if properly done. What it does to phase and ISI may be
another story. The results will show up in the eye pattern of a digital stream.

What is happening, it appears to me, is that hi-freqs are being emphasized
in an attempt to overcome a Lossy Low Pass Filter (LPF) characteristic of a
transmission line. Note: LPF's have "dispersion"

So, call it pre-emphasis -- but it is more like what is generally call
pre-compensation or pre-distortion. This is not, of course, the analog
signal pre-emphasis concept where the notion of de-emphasis is employed on
the receiving end - to improve overall Signal to Noise ratio.

To say this compensates (overcomes?) LPF dispersion may be correct if it
sufficiently pre-compensates or pre-distorts in such a way that the result
after the Filter (transmission line) is more like the original signal -- in
an important way.

Good Luck dong this as a general case. But it is possible in specific
cases. The eye diagram will tell the story.

Additionally, I have not seen a case where dispersion was a problem in PCB
traces. If you or anyone find such a case, let me know please as I have
been searching for this.

Let's see what other have to say.

Sincerely,

JC Pat Darden