[SI-LIST] TFT display modules with _min_ dot clock frequency spec

  • From: Dimiter Popoff <dp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 4:21:53 +0300

Posted this to two newsgroups, then I thought actually I might have
better chances to find someone in the TFT module industry via the
Si-list, so here it goes.

I have been looking around for a TFT module for a design (5" to 8"
sized, 800x480 min.,thin) and found some really good looking.
 The problem I have is that some of them specify a minimum dot clock
frequency, typically well above 25 MHz.
 Now apart from a PLL they may have inside the module I can think
of little reasons why they need that; and I have not heard of such a
thing, but I am far from the insides of these (hence my posting :-).
 I could pretty well live at a 30 Hz or even 20 Hz frame rate,
which would mean 16 MHz clock or below, thus lower power,
less memory bandwidth etc.
 TFTs don't flicker, I have played with the first one I had 5-6 years
back and there was absolutely no visible benefit of increased clock
frequency.

Anyone know why this minimum clock spec? Any knowledge on that?
Some of the best fits I find do specify it and it is in conflict with
a really major simplification I can make to the design....
So my hope is that this spec is put in order to keep some high enough
frame rate to satisfy some common controller thing, not really a must.
I'll try to ask the manufacturers directly, but perhaps I have a
better chance to find out something via usenet.

Thanks,

Dimiter

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net