[SI-LIST] Re: TDR and line losses

  • From: "Kyung Suk (Dan) Oh" <doh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Paul Levin <levinpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 13:21:14 -0800

Paul, it is a very good point but I have implicitly included
the imaginary part by making the inductance as function of
frequency, L(f).
The reason I have not explicitly written as R(f)(1+j)+jwL
is that this leads to the internal inductance of
R(f)/(2*Pi*sqrt(f)), as you pointed out.
This is a good approximation only at high frequencies and
it makes the internal inductance contribution to be infinite
near dc which is not true in practice. Although the internal
inductance still increases as the frequency decreases,
I do not think it would be that large.

Thanks,

Kyung Suk (Dan) Oh, Ph.D.
Pricipal Signal Integrity Engineer
Rambus Inc.
doh@xxxxxxxxxx
650-947-5363

Paul Levin wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Also, in Doh's equation recall that the term he called R(f)
> needs to be multiplied by (1+j). That the additional reactive
> impedance has the same magnitude as the resistive impedance
> is shown in Ramo, Whinnery and VanDuzer, "Fields and Waves in
> Electronic Communications," among other references.
>
> The fact that the jR(f) term is increasing only proportional
> to the SQRT of frequency, means that the effective "internal
> inductance" (= R(f)/w) is *decreasing* in proportion to the
> SQRT of frequency, hence tending towards zero. This leads to
> noticeably higher inductance (hence Zc) at lower frequencies.
>
> Regards,
>
> Paul
> ___________________
>
> doh wrote:
>
>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> I am glad you have asked this question.
>> My original mail does not clearly explain about the physics.
>>
>> Let me fist describe what happened at the reflection stage and
>> discuss the propagation stage next.
>>
>> When the initial signal hits the transmission line interface,
>> as you mentioned, the fast frequency component sees the
>> lower characteristic impedance and low frequency component
>> sees the high characteristic impedance as it can be shown
>> in the following equation for the characteristic impedance:
>>
>> Zc(f) = sqrt[(R(f)+jwL(f))/(G(f)+jwC)]
>>
>> (assuming G(f) at the low frequency is relative smaller than R(f))
>> So the upward creep happens due to the frequency-dependent nature
>> of the characteristic impedance.
>>
>> Once the signal is transmitted to the transmission line side,
>> it would not reflect at all regardless of the frequency content
>> of the signal or frequency variation of the transmission line
>> (assuming the uniform transmission line).
>> What happened is that different frequency components travel at
>> different attenuations  and possibly at different velocities
>> but no reflection would occur since the characteristic impedance
>> does not change for a particular frequency component along the
>> propagation.
>>
>> Yes, we will observe the slowing down of the signal edge due to
>> the frequency dependent loss but it would not see any reflection
>> until the signal reflects back from the other end.
>> Another words, the power transmitted can be reduced to the far end
>> but the reduced amount of power is dissipated rather than reflected
>> along the propagation.
>>
>> It is interesting to note that some of the most commonly used transient
>> simulation techniques for lossy uniform transmission lines are based
>> on the delay extraction technique and cannot model any reflection during
>> the propagation.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> -Dan
>>

>> Mcmaster, Michael wrote:
>>
>>> I'm curious if there's also another factor involved here.  As the test
>>> signal propagates down the transmission line, won't the fastest
>>> portions of
> [...]

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: