[SI-LIST] Re: Soldermask Impact Microstrip Impedance

  • From: <Aubrey_Sparkman@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 12:16:01 -0500

I just gotta throw in my 2 cents worth....

While others have made some good points, I wanted to add some comments
to help you decide whether including the solder mask in your
calculations is necessary.

Solder mask makes the least difference on very wide low impedance traces
spaced far apart. (anyone remember a memory bus with 28 ohm traces?)
Impedance difference here is very small, down in the measurement error
range.

Solder mask makes the most difference on very narrow high impedance
tightly coupled differential pairs; Impedance difference ~15% between
calculations with and without soldermask.

Aubrey Sparkman=20
Enterprise Engineering Signal Integrity Team
Dell, Inc.=20
Aubrey_Sparkman@xxxxxxxx=20
(512) 723-3592