[SI-LIST] Soldermask Impact Microstrip Impedance

  • From: "Pang Ning" <pangning2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "SI-LIST" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 21:21:28 +0800

Dear experts,
I have a simple question for you about microstrip impedance. As you know, many
impedance calculation tools didn't consider soldermask influence when counting
microstrip impedance. Maybe the trace should be called as coated microstrip or
embeded microstrip. Because the dielectric constant of soldermask is much
bigger than air, and soldermask thickness is about 0.5mil~1mil, the real
impedance on PCB will be smaller than the calculation results from simulation
tools. So would you please let me know how to deal with this issue? Should the
soldermask influence be taken into consideration when calculating microstrip
impedance? Thanks for your comments.

Thanks,
Best Regards,
Peter Pang