[SI-LIST] Re: Simulating SI and PI through a "passive" backplane

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bradb@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 02:02:05 -0800

Brad,  a rail as I discussed is a single schematic net:  Vss, Vddx,
etc.  I do not mistake schematic nets for isopotentials.

Transverse voltage in the path be it from DC drop, or induction is not
an SI concern so long as:

1. Any noise EMF is common mode to both the signal and its return.

AND

2. The receiver reference:
     a. Is the return, or
     b. Floats on a constant offset from the return

AND

3. a. The receiver power source floats on the return OR
b. The receive signal and reference operate well within the CMR of the
receiver.

There are lots of ways to violate the above conditions.   Exciting a
resonant structure with fast rise time signals is certainly one of the
more effective ones.  In a bypass capacitorless backplane the lowest
frequency structures will by far be the power cavities.  If in a single
net return path the daughter card to backplane connector return density
is so low that the return planes have a resonant frequency well below
0.3/Tr then in all likelihood cross-talk through the connectors has long
since killed the SI.

Best Regards,

Steve.

--