[SI-LIST] Re: Simulating SI and PI through a "passive" backplane

  • From: Cristian Filip <cris_filip2002@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Cuong P Nguyen' <cuong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Brad Brim <bradb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 20:04:19 -0800 (PST)

Hi Brad,

Can you please provide more details on how this works, not only for DC Drop
Analysis, but for AC Noise and impedance profile (with and without VRM) of the
system/board? I mean if you have a system where your power supply (DC/DC
converter) is sitting on a board, and the analysis is being done on another
board eventually connected through a backplane, what is the strategy for PI
analysis? When you have a single board, you calculate the target impedance
using the peak transient current, you add the VRM to your bear board (buried
capacitance) impedance and then you determine the number, value and type of
decoupling caps needed. That is straight forward, but in case of a multi-board
project there are questions that arise, regarding VRM modeling, parasitic
inductance and capacitance through the whole chain of power delivery network,
decoupling and bulk capacitors sitting on other board that the one being
analyzed, etc.

It will be appreciated if you provide more details about the right methodology
to follow for multi-board projects.

Thanks,

Cristian