[SI-LIST] Re: "Sigrity's PowerSI tool"

  • From: Ralf Bruening <ralf.bruening@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Westbrook, Scott" <Scott.Westbrook@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 09:57:13 +0200

Hello Scott/all,

just to shortly correct - yes, you are right, Hot-Stage EMI/PI
does not do a spartial analysis to compute the impedance and
power distribution on any point of the plane - but I disagree
that you can do this easily (and quickly) using a spreadsheet -
its a rather complex thing to compute the power-bus impedance properly -
and that's what Hot-Stage PI is doing - to allow then quickly
analysis of the Power-Bus and to identify noise sources (rather
then to match 100 % any kind of test bench) - the approach is
following the work of the group of Prof. Hubing at UMR
(http://www.emclab.umr.edu/consortium/) and is proven to be
applicable for a quick and efficient EMI and Power Integrity
analysis - as discussed in another thread, it depends all times
what you wanna want to do (and I like the Sigrity approach even
as well - complete different discussion).

And the next version of HS-PI will compute the values on any
point within power planes

Just to clarify - kind regards

Ralf Bruening
Product Manager High Speed Design/Partner & Solution Business
Zuken EMC Technology Center
33100 Paderborn

Tel: ++49 (0) 5251 150 600 (direct -621)
Fax: ++49 (0) 5251 150 700
Cellular: +49 170 4228512 (alternative: +49 172 9070675)

Email: ralf.bruening@xxxxxxxx
Web: www.zuken.com
received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete
the original.  Any other use of the email by you is prohibited.

Friday, May 14, 2004, 4:02:14 AM, you wrote:

WS> A quick look at Hotstage PI datasheet it appears that there is no =
WS> spatial analysis. I can do the same in a spreadsheet. Sigrity takes into =
WS> account the board geometry and allows you to look at power distribution =
WS> impedance spatially. It's easier to use than it use to be.

WS> Scott Westbrook...
WS> Network Appliance

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: