[SI-LIST] Re: SSO

  • From: Khalid Ansari <KANSARI@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 13:23:34 -0700

Ibrahim,

I have tried to answer your question below.

Others,

While on this subject, when running SSO simulations
should one include the board models.  What I am
working on is using a 3D and 2D modeler to
extract my package parasitics and board parasitics.
Will the package parasitics suffice since SSO noise
is basically on the chip or do I need the board
parasitics too to run my simulations?  Also, the
ristimes of my fastest signals are around 70 ps, do
I need to use the Ansoft HFSS or can I do with the
Ansoft SI3D as my 3D modeler.

Thanks,
Khalid

Hello Gurus,
Does the concept of Simultaneous Switching (SSO) apply only to
single-ended signal or the differential pairs as well.

--It applies to both, of course differential signaling has
better results in the presense of SSO.  SSO, which is basically
due to ground bounce is effected by the package and socket
inductance.

In other words,
do we only care (when designing the decoupling strategy) how many
single-ended outputs are switching simultaneously or do we have to
account for diff. pairs as well.

--both, when you design for decoupling you also care about
the transient current requirement.  There were quite a few good
emails going back and forth on the subject
of decoupling just a week back on the reflector.

Khalid

List archives are viewable at: