[SI-LIST] Re: [SI-LIST Microstrip Loss Correlation: Need to look at TDR

  • From: <hbarnes_2298@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 05:30:48 -0600

Hello Chris,
Work done at Agilent technologies has shown that it is critical to look at the
Time domain discontinuities to determine how to tune a transition for better
performance and lower loss. The edge launch SMA's by design are 50ohms, the
transition to the PCB can be hugely inductive or capacitive depending on what
the layout designer does.  The attached pdf file shows how one can use
simulations to dial in the transition to the PCB by using time domain to see
where the discontinuities are and whether signal to ground distances need to be
reduced to eliminate an inductive discontinuity or the other way around.
Typically the Johnson SMA edgelaunch connectors have the best performance when
one clips the signal pin short going onto the PCB and then one can get
reasonable 15dB type return loss up to maybe 8GHz with a good transition on the
PCB.
Best Regards,
Heidi Barnes

High Speed DUT Board Consultant