[SI-LIST] SI tools: pros and cons

  • From: "Sol Tatlow" <Sol.Tatlow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 09:46:05 +0200

Arpad made a very good point about having to ask the
right question - the answer "42" to the question "what's
the meaning of life?" for example, wasn't SO meaningful.

And Michael voiced essentially my own and many others'
opinion: you can still, in many areas, get a REAL long
way by using common sense, good experience, and a handful
of other surprisingly useful human characteristics. And it
CAN, for sure, be a lot quicker and cheaper than with tools.

It is perhaps also the case, that most people use one,
at the most 2, different tools, and therefore don't feel
qualified to rate any 1 product as the 'best' SI tool -
when I see that the list has maybe 3000+ people on it,
and I see many of the same names replying to questions,
it seems to me that most people either don't have the
self-confidence to state their opinion, can't be bothered,
or don't want to 'waste' their time - a REAL shame.

Anyway, seeing as we seem to have a more positive swing in
the discussion of SI tools than negative, and I for one
would gladly have more input on the subject, which only a
forum like this one can give me, please let me re-phrase
the question, in the hope of a bigger/better response:

"As an experienced SI tool user (not salesperson), what
are, in your opinion, the best and worst points of the
software you are using, and given the chance to change tool,
would you still use it? A short idea of how much/to what
ends you use the tool would also be good."

I hope this is ok - feel free to amend it if you want, but
most importantly, VOICE YOUR OPINION, even if it IS short!

P.S. By the way, I could be wrong about the "42" thing not
being meaningful - I just discovered this is the number of
gallons in a drum of oil ... I BET Douglas Adams knew this.
____________________________________
Sol Tatlow, M.Eng. (Oxon)
ProDesign Electronic & CAD Layout GmbH
Product Developer